As the name suggests, the Paleo way is based on the premise of eating how our ancestors ate. It’s a simple case of design. Our bodies are not designed to digest the highly processed, sugar laden, grain heavy diet that we see today. The Paleo framework is all about paring the way you eat back to our dietary beginnings.
Now before you decide to be a smarty pants and say something sarcastic like “oh, so we all just eat dinosaur meat, do we?”, hear me out. The idea behind Paleo is to eat nutritionally dense foods. Food that is good for you, food that’s going to nourish you, and food that is anti-inflammatory. So, it’s less of the caveman talk and more about side-stepping the crap that wreaks havoc on our immune, digestive and metabolic systems. It’s about embracing the consumption of natural, clean produce that leads to optimal health and wellbeing.
- fish and seafood – line caught, sustainable
- meat – grass fed and pasture raised
- nuts and seeds – peanuts aren’t nuts p.s.
- healthy fats and oils – eg. coconut, lard, tallow, extra virgin olive oil
- grains – all of them including corn and soy
- legumes – such as lentils, chickpeas, beans
- processed food
- refined sugars
- hydrogenated/refined oils – vegetable oils, canola