Ain’t no thing like a chicken wing! This recipe is based off one of the first things I learned how to cook when I was a kid, but they were chicken legs and, wait for it, they were cooked in the microwave. Foul (see what I did there?) But hey, it was the 80’s and it was a different time. I also thought the guys from New Kids On The Block were hot, MC Hammer pants were the epitome of fashion and I’d get up early for school to have enough time to crimp my hair and tease my fringe to perfection. It’s actually quite traumatising seeing some of the 80’s stuff coming back into fashion. If you lived it the first time around you just don’t want to use scrunchies, or wear bicycle shorts (bike optional, camel toe a must) or tootle around in white boots or high heels. So I’m just going to pop The Breakfast Club into the VCR, cuddle my cabbage Patch Doll and pretend its not happening…
- 1kg chicken wings
- 1/2 cup Paleo ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix together all sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over a low to medium heat. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often until reduced slightly and thickened. Remove from heat.
- Place wings in large bowl and pat dry with paper towel.
- Pour over sauce and using tongs, mix sauce through the wings giving them all a good thick coating of sauce.
- Place wings onto a tray lined with baking paper. I place them on one by one, spacing them out, and reserving what remains of the sauce in the bowl (it might not be a huge amount, don’t stress).
- Bake the wings for 20 minutes. Remove and using a brush, baste the wings with the remaining sauce. Bake for a further 15-20 minutes.