Go shorty, its your birthday…and these are exactly what you should be making to celebrate. Or because you got a promotion. Or because you ate a whole meal in a white t-shirt without spilling something on it. Or you haven’t killed your brain cells by watching Love Island. Or that it’s Wednesday. You get the drift. Just do yourself a favour and make them.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE FILLING
- 500g fresh strawberries
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Coconut yoghurt or coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and combine.
- Add all wet ingredients and mix well.
- Drop 8 large heaped spoonfuls of mix on a lined baking tray. You can shape them a little with a spoon to make even little mounds.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.
- While they are baking, hull and quarter the strawberries.
- Add the zest and coconut sugar and stir through.
- Let macerate for half hour or so.
- Cut cooled shortcakes in half, dollop with yoghurt and spoon on the strawberries.