Need some ideas for veggies to put with your big old dirty bird this festive feast? Roast pumpkin? Pretty standard. But voila, chuck in some cranberries and you’ve Christmassed the shit out of it!
- 1kg pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 1 brown onion, halved and sliced
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Toss the prepared pumpkin with 2 tablespoons of the oil, thyme and some salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- While that’s roasting away, heat a small pan with the remaining oil to medium and gently cook the onion. You don’t want to fry it, just make it nice and soft. When they’re pretty much done, add the maple syrup to caramelise them. Remove from the heat.
- When the pumpkin has finished cooking, stir through the onion and cranberries, season with S and P.
Serves 6 as a side dish.
TIP- I used a butternut pumpkin that was 1.3kg whole, leaving me with a kilo of diced flesh once peeled and deseeded.
This recipe also works nicely with sweet potato.