TOOT TOOT! It’s time to get off the breakfast trash train driven by Mr Kellogg’s and whip up a batch of home-made granola. This stuff makes a mocha-ry (see what I did there?) of the boxed up chemical shitstorm that that charlatan has been flogging for years, and it’s not only filling, but tastes bloody awesome. Anyone whose ever eaten the chocolate-covered coffee beans from the David Jones Food Hall will vouch that this flavour combo is like Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper for your tastebuds. What are you waiting for?
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coffee grounds
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Roughly chop the nuts. If you’re doing this in a food processor, do each type separately because they are different textures and will break down differently, or just use a good old knife.
- In a large bowl, mix the chopped nuts with all other dry ingredients.
- Pour in wet ingredients and mix well, making sure everything is coated well.
- Spread the mixture evenly on an oven tray lined with baking paper or on a baking mat.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool on the tray. Granola will harden and become crunchy on cooling.
Store in an airtight container.