This soup is so damn good you’ll want to build a wall around your kitchen and keep it all for yourself. Hahaha, sorry for the terrible joke, but seriously, the Mexicans gave us guacamole, so Trump you idiot, have some bloody respect.
- 1kg chicken breast or thigh (skinless & boneless)
- 1 onion, large dice
- 1 capsicum, large dice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (depending how salted your stock is)
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- Handful chopped fresh coriander
- Avocado for garnish
- Prepare veg and garlic.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Gently sauté onion, capsicum, jalapeño and garlic to soften.
- Add the spices and stir through, sauté until fragrant.
- Add stock and tin tomatoes, salt and pepper. Stir and bring mix to a gentle simmer.
- Add in your chicken breasts/thighs, nestling them into the liquid so they are fully covered. Lower heat until very low simmer, so only the occasional bubble rises to surface. Half cover pot and continue cooking for 20 minutes. Turn off heat
- and cover pot fully. Leave to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from liquid into a dish or cutting board and shred with forks. Add the shredded chicken back into soup.
- Add lime juice, coconut sugar, coriander and stir through.
- Adjust taste with seasoning as you likely.
- Garnish with avocado, fresh coriander, jalapeño slices.
Serves 4-6.TIP – don’t cook the chicken too fast over a too high temperature or it will get too tough and be harder to shred. Low and slow is the key.
I also made a quick paleo sour cream for the topping by mixing some unsweetened coconut yoghurt with a squeeze of lemon juice and some sea salt.