Shout out to all my sweet as Kiwi mates, you’re all bloody legends.
Just the small issue of you guys pronouncing your ‘E’s’ as ‘I’s’ . I was a bit taken aback when I was last in Auckland and my mate asked me if I wanted to sit on his freshly polished deck….(say it in your head, its funny. I also hope you call it a deck or the joke is lost…)
Now Pavlova is Australian and we’re keeping that, but Ginger Slice is all yours. Now I hope I’ve done you proud with my Paleo, raw and vegan version of your delicious dessert. Its pretty straight forward to knock together, so kick off your jandals, pump up the Split Endz and make this for all your cuzzie bros. Enjoy it on your deck perhaps….
By the way, we are also happy to give you back Russell Crowe if you’re interested.
For the base…
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
For the icing…
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup coconut butter, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- Pinch sea salt
- Line base and sides of a square (23×23 cm) baking tin with paper. I like to line base and 2 of the sides with one long piece of paper, using the overhang to lift out the set slice.
- For the base, pulse all the dry ingredients 5-6 times to a rough crumble.
- Add wet ingredients and pulse a few more times so everything is incorporated. The mixture should stick together when pressed between your fingers.
- Tip the mixture into the lined tin and press down firmly. Push the mixture right to edges and corners and get it an even thickness. Make sure its really compacted down so it doesn’t crumble when you slice it.
- Put the base in the fridge while you make the icing.
- Mix all ingredients together in the food processor until well combined. You may need to scrape down the sides once or twice.
- Pour the icing mix onto the base and move the tin round to get it to run and cover all the base right to edges and corners.
- Pop the whole thing back in the fridge and let set for a few hours before slicing.
- Decorate the top with flaked almonds or coconut if the mood takes you.
- Keep refrigerated.