This recipe was brought to you by…pricy figs that I forgot I bought that I found going squishy in the bottom of the fridge drawer. But don’t worry, some of my best work has come from this situation, including this cake. It’s just so damn pretty too. Get figgy with it this weekend and bake this beauty.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup coconut yoghurt
- 1/2 cup honey
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4-5 fresh figs, quartered lengthways
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Grease and line a round 23cm cake tin. Line the side with paper as well as base.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and combine well.
- Spoon batter into prepared tin and level out with a spatula, so the cake is an even thickness.
- Add cut fig quarters to top of the cake in a circular pattern. Press fig pieces down slightly into the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cake cool in tin before removing.