I was digging around the other day through my old cookbooks and came across a hand-written recipe from a family friend for this cake. Her version had the usual crap like flour and sugar though, but not on my watch sweetheart. I told those fools to take a hike, and invited some more healthful dudes to my baking party. The result? A dense loaf of loveliness. So cheers to this recipe that keeps my loaf chunky and my butt less-so.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 small apple, grated (I used a Granny Smith)
- Coconut oil for greasing
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a loaf pan (mine was 22cm x 11cm) with the coconut oil and line with baking paper.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in bowl.
- Add the oil, vanilla, eggs and honey and mix well.
- Stir through the grated apple, nuts and dates.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- If after 20-30 minutes the top is getting quite brown, just cover loosely with a piece of foil for the remainder of the cooking time.