Looking for something super straight forward and simple for a mid-week dessert or a relaxed dinner party? I’ve got your back. You can jazz these babies up to make them look all pretty and special (a.k.a. like you’ve spent loads of time on them). They are so simple a child could make them. Except kids probably shouldn’t be hanging around a hot cooktop. So you would probably have to supervise. Therefore you have to be in the kitchen anyway. It would also probably take less time and be less messy if you did it yourself. So on second thoughts, don’t get the kids involved because they can be annoying.
- 750ml coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons lacuma powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon agar agar powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Whisk all ingredients together in a saucepan, then leave mixture to sit for a few minutes to help dissolve the agar powder.
- Place saucepan on a medium to low heat and bring to a gentle simmer, whisking/stirring gently the whole time.
- Continue the gentle simmer for 5 minutes then remove from heat.
- Spoon the liquid mixture into 4 ramekins/dishes and place in the fridge.
- Leave to set for 1-2 hours.
*lacuma is a naturally sweet superfood made from milled dried lacuma fruit. It has a maple-like taste. It’s not essential to recipe, but adds some depth of flavour and sweetness.
*agar agar is a vegan thickener/stabiliser made from algae. It works as a gelatin substitute.