Yep, I’ve been pretty lucky in this life and traveled extensively. Have I ever been to the Caribbean? Um, no. So what’s with the recipe? Well, I just made it up. It’s pineapple, it’s coconut, it’s prawns…all ingredients you would probably eat at some point on a tropical island. So there!
Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add the onion, capsicum, tomatoes, garlic and chilli and cook for several minutes, sautéing them down a little so they soften.
Add the spices and juice, then add the coconut milk. Simmer this for 5-10 minutes, reducing the sauce slightly.
Add your prawns and diced pineapple and cover with sauce.
When prawns are almost cooked, add the lime zest and juice.
When prawns are cooked through, remove from heat and stir through the fresh coriander.
Season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- 1 kg prawns, peeled and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 capsicums ( I used 1 red, 1 yellow), diced
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 birdseye chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Zest and juice 2 limes
- Bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste