Beam me up biscotti (dad joke, soz). The Italians might want to run me over with their Vespas because I put pineapple on pizza, but surely they’d be ok with me remaking their fave little bikkys without the gluten, grains and processed sugar?
These little dudes aren’t difficult to knock together, but do take a little time in the making to get them to crispy perfection. They taste so much like the real deal you’ll be talking with your hands in no time.
- 150g almond meal
- 30g coconut flour, sifted
- 30g arrowroot starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 165g honey
- 40g flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add honey and mix with spatula until you have a stiff batter. Don’t worry if you think its not enough liquid. It is. Just keep working it together.
- Spoon batter onto a baking tray lined with paper or a baking mat.
- You need to pat and shape dough into a rectangular shape with your hands. Just gently flatten with gentle pats, keep patting sides and ends with the flats of your hands until you have a rectangular shape approximately 20cm long x 8cm wide x 2-3cm high.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about an hour.
- After the cooling time, heat oven to 100 degrees Celsius.
- Gently slice the baked dough into 1cm slices with a sharp knife.
- Lay the biscotti gently on baking paper or baking mat on tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip over and bake for another 20 minutes on other side.
- Let cool on cooling tray and store in an airtight container.